Monday, November 22, 2010

Spelling

I’ve never been a fan of spelling curriculums. I’ve seen a lot of kids memorize spelling words for a test but then can’t spell the words when writing.
Dakota was a horrible speller, but an excellent reader and read all the time. When he started using email and posting on some message boards his spelling seemed to have changed over night. Now he is an excellent speller and I’m often asking him how to spell words.
The same thing happened with Elijah when he got his cell phone and started texting and using facebook his spelling improved so much, but he still needs to improve.
Elijah does ask me how to spell a lot of words when he is writing so I thought he might need something to expose him to more spellings, but I still didn’t want a curriculum, I thought something on the computer would be more fun.
I found Mrs. Flinkster’s Spelling Accelerator and it turned out to be a fun spelling program.
spelling game
There are 6 games to play with each list of words and there are over 1,000 spelling words. You can put in your own spelling if you want to.
Elijah wasn’t thrilled to see what I had bought, but once he tried it out he decided he did like it.
Just thought I’d throw this out there in case anyone was looking for something to help with spelling.

No comments: