Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I never expected it to be this rough!

I expected Elijah to be in pain after the surgery. I expected him not to feel good. I expected him to feel bad and just lay around and watch TV for two weeks. I did not expect him to be sick like he has been.

I took him to the doctor on Monday and he said Elijah was sick throwing up because he's not drinking enough. First off I'm not sure how not drinking enough makes you throw up. Actually he's probably throwing up more because we are pushing the fluids. Since Elijah came home last Tuesday he has had a glass of water sitting next to him at all times. He's had popsicles, shaved ice and Italian Ice almost one right after another. We refill his glass of ice water all day long. I tried to explain to the doctor that he has something all day long, he said it's not enough.

He gave us another prescription for the Phenergan to rub on his wrist and that has helped. Elijah feels much better when he is not throwing up.

It's been a full week now so I'm really expecting him to turn the corner for good soon and not look back. He is having periods where he feels better, we just need these periods to stretch into full days.

Any time Elijah is sick it takes him way longer to recover than most kids. He is a special case. He can't take meds through the gut. Once he is having a flare and throwing up the only thing that helps is complete bowel rest and only getting IV. He has been in the hospital many many times like this. But this doctor doesn't know anything about Elijah and can't understand what a special case he is.

I really do regret having the surgery done. I should have listened to the first ENT. Actually I did, but his doctor insisted we had to have this done and sent us to another ENT. This has been a horrible experience.

Thanks for praying for my sweet boy. I feel like I have caused him all this pain.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I can only imagine how hard this must be for you both. But I do think that once he does feel better, you will see a difference and be glad you had it done.

Still praying for the dear boy!

Mama Teaching 3 said...

Kayla, I love you guys, and I am praying. :(

Anonymous said...

What Heidi said.

I'm glad he has finally had several better days in a row!