Thursday, September 23, 2010

Co-op

I haven't posted this week because we are BUSY! We took the week off from school because Elijah, and Dakota too, are busy busy busy finishing up their fair entries that they will turn in this weekend. I'll post about that when they get their stuff back in early October.

I wanted to share about our homeschool co-op. I LOVE CO-OP!  It's the best thing that happened to our homeschool group.

I love the classes I'm teaching this year.
Are You Smarter Than a 1st Grader? For 1st & 2nd grade.
Are You Smarter Than a 3rd Grader? For 3rd & 4th grade.
Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? For 5th & 6th grade.
Then after lunch I have two board game classes.

Today at co-op I snapped a few pictures of my class game board that I made.




I use the same board set up for each class, the apple is velcroed on so I can just change it out for each class.



 Here is a full view of the game board. We play it like a game show. It really is so much fun and he kids really enjoy it too. All the kids say it is their favorite class.


This is the right side. I laminated a piece of paper so we can write on it with a dry erase marker to keep score.



Here in the middle I have a $1 pocket chart from Target that I slip index cards into. On one side of the card is the subject and the other side has a question and answer. My helper (another homeschool mom) and I will pull a card from the category the kids pick and read the question and if the students answer correctly they get 10 points. At the end of class we add up the points, but everyone gets a prize.




On the left side there is a clock. Sometimes they might get a math question about time and they can use this clock to show the time. I also have a dry erase board in the room where the students can work out math problems or fill in blanks on a word with missing letters.

Each class has different cards, I have a box for each grade to keep them all separate.  You can see behind the box on the board there are cards with a ? on them. These are mystery cards. They don't really fall under a subject and can be about anything. One card today asked how many hours a day does a cat nap? The kids love the mystery cards.
This is my favorite mystery card....
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
The answer ...4.
It doesn't matter what you call the tail it's still not a leg! LOL



And here is Elijah standing by the board this morning before co-op started. I don't know if you can read Elijah's T-shirt, it says  "this is my dress shirt" and there is a tie painted on the shirt behind the words. THAT is SO Elijah!

No comments: