Friday, July 31, 2009

Tonsil and Adenoid Day

It was a long night of no sleep the night before. At 5 am I decided to get up and get going with my morning. I remembered I needed to turn off my alarm since I was getting up before it went off. Guess what I set it the night before, but didn't turn it on!

Once we got to the hospital they took us right on back to AUS and got Elijah into a bed. We had a couple of hours to cut up and act goofy as we normally do. We were all laughing so hard I know people on the other side of the curtain wondered what in the world was going on in our cube.

I was so very glad they allowed all 3 of us to be back there with Elijah, because if Elijah had to choose only 1 person he was going to choose Dakota and I would have had to step in and say "sorry charlie" I'm going back there. Dakota and Elijah have a special love between them. I think it has to do with Dakota being so much older than Elijah. My brother and I have this same special love and we are 13 years apart.

Here are several shots of Elijah before surgery while we waited.

Elijah playing his Dsi.

He was very tired and really wanted to go back to sleep.

This is Buster with Elijah. You really can't see him, but he is a cute stuffed dog. Elijah got Buster when he was 1 year old. Buster has been through every surgery and hospital stay with Elijah since getting him. Elijah no longer sleeps with Buster, but the day before surgery I asked if Buster was going to the hospital with him and he thought about it and then said yes.

Here they had gave him some medicine to relax him and make him feel goofy. It backfired and made me, Jody and Dakota act that much more goofy.

This is the last picture of Elijah before surgery. They had just put in the IV. IVs are hard on Elijah. He has veins like me and they have to stick him several times before catching one.
I pulled his hair up in a ponytail so they would be able to get it all in the surgery cap.

They came and took my baby away. I stayed strong for him, but it is very hard to let someone push your baby off to be put to sleep and cut on. We've done this many times before and it never gets easier.

They left us in the cube and said the doctor would come talk to us when he finished. That 40 minutes seemed like a long time. Finally the doctor came and said Elijah's tonsils and adenoids were HUGE. Every time he has ever had head x rays they have told me that. I still don't know why everyone comments on how HUGE his were, but for some reason they did. He said everything went well and gave us a room number to go to and said Elijah would be there shortly.

We all raced up to the room and waited to see Elijah. After about 30 minutes they brought him in. He looked like he felt so bad. He started throwing up right away. He was still sleepy, but was in too much pain to sleep. He was also very grouchy and so unlike Elijah.

We were able to get him to sip some water, more throwing up. Throughout the day he sipped, threw up, slept.

Here is the only picture we have of Elijah after surgery.

Around 4 pm it had been a little while since he had thrown up so they were going to let us go. Just as we got everything ready and was about to leave he started throwing up. The nurse called the doctor and we had to stay a little longer. The doctor came by and we asked him for pain meds through the IV and he said no. He did give us a prescription for numbing suckers and phenergan cream to rub on his wrist.

Once home Elijah continued to throw up and just cry in pain. My heart hurt so bad for him. Wednesday and Thursday were some hard days and nights. Elijah and I slept on the couch. I was trying to keep the phenergan cream on his wrist before it would ware off, but he was still throwing up. He felt so bad and was in so much pain. I kept thinking surely he'll be better tomorrow. Thursday night I was crying regretting that we had this surgery. I didn't expect it to be so painful. Actually I really expected for Elijah to have pain meds through IV with a home health nurse like the doctor and I had talked about when we were in his office. I had made up my mind I would take in him on Friday.

Friday morning brought a nice surprise of Elijah feeling better and no throwing up. I really appreciate all our friends praying for him. About mid morning I decided he was doing well enough not to make a trip to the doctor. He still feels bad, but at least he's not throwing up and crying.
He sat at his computer for a short session of playing Spore and he has laid on the couch watching TV. Right now he is laying on the couch playing PlayStation with Jody. I am so thankful he is not in pain like he was.

He sounds funny talking. No one mentioned that to me and I just wonder when that will go away. Or is this his new voice? If so, we might need to re-think choir.

I think tonight Elijah can sleep him his bed and I will get in my bed for the first time since Monday night. I have a baby monitor I can turn on so I'll be able to hear if he needs me.

Thanks for the prayers, our friends are awesome to lift us up in prayer when needed.
We plan to lay low for the next week or so and enjoy our rest time. I'm going to use this time to plan some school stuff for Bristle Ridge Academy and work on my co-op classes.

1 comment:

Mama Teaching 2 said...

Oh, Kayla! I have kept my family updated all the way. The children have really felt so bad for him and we have prayed!!!!! I am so happy to hear that he is on the way to feeling better. I can't stand that he went through this. It breaks my heart. Hug him for all of us and enjoy your rest.